Digital Industrial World: Driving Development with the Industrial Internet
For decades — generations even — “development” was seen through the prism of industrial plants and infrastructure. Then, over the past decade or so, technology and the Internet were seen as new avenues to economic growth. Now, we see that neither alone is enough.
With the combination both iron and Internet, big machines and big data, countries — including those in the Middle East, North Africa and Turkey (MENAT) — we can achieve transformational growth. This combination, called the Industrial Internet, creates enormous value for companies, connects machines, data and people for better, faster, safer and more reliable performance.
At its first-ever Minds+Machines event in the MENAT region, GE demonstrated that the region is home to many ambitious and visionary companies that are among the first to globally embrace Industrial Internet solutions and thereby become part of the Digital Industrial economy. Held in Dubai, the event also marked GE Digital’s regional debut.
The event is addressing themes as broad as cyber security, advanced flight efficiency, digital power plants, hospitals of the future, “brilliant” factories, and operational efficiency in the oil and gas industry.
GE partnerships with regional firms and GE-led R&D and innovation initiatives reflect many of these areas.
- For the first time globally, Qatar-based RasGas Company Limited will be GE’s first LNG customer to deploy Asset Performance Management solutions based on GE’s Predix Cloud, the world’s first and only cloud-based operating system built exclusively for industry.
- GE and Abu Dhabi-based sustainability company Masdar will pilot and commercialize sustainable energy-neutral advanced wastewater treatment solutions across five communities in the region, and jointly develop Industrial Internet solutions to co-optimize water and energy usage over the next five years.
- In Pakistan, GE is working with the Engro Corp and Sapphire to apply Industrial Internet solutions that improve performance and enhance the ability to better predict maintenance and other equipment issues at their power plants.
Beyond these customer partnerships, GE also is fostering regional R&D and innovations to bolster opportunities in MENAT for companies and governments to spark development through Industrial Internet software. Examples include:
- The Middle East Aviation Technology Center in Dubai, which will develop physics-based analytics, employ data science, and jointly develop software solutions with the region’s airlines.
- The gas turbine Monitoring & Diagnostics centers in Saudi Arabia and the UAE will provide unprecedented control to GE and its local customers in identifying potential concerns and will help them to quickly respond and rectify them. The result is minimized downtime, safe operations and unmatched strength to predict and overcome any unwarranted situation.
- The One GE Oil & Gas Multimodal Manufacturing and Technology Facility in Jebel Ali Free Zone in Dubai will feature a state-of-the-art Customer Solutions Center that will house the GE Oil & Gas Monitoring & Diagnostic Service Center to serve the MENAT region.
- The GE Turkey Technology Center is developing an Aviation Test Visualization application for the Predix platform that will enable remote real-time monitoring by GE Aviation customers of their aircraft engine tests being done before delivery.
- Wurldtech, a GE company that builds solutions to protect critical infrastructure from cyber-attack, will establish offices, at the GE Ecomagination Innovation Center in Masdar City in Abu Dhabi and Saudi Arabia, to work with local partners to strengthen regional cyber-security capabilities in the Industrial Internet sector.
Through partnerships and customer programs such as these, GE will give a game-changing boost to national development efforts and company growth strategies across the MENAT region — as it has for more than 80 years. In bringing together the industrial and digital worlds in the region and globally, GE will solidify its place as a digital industrial company.